Friday, January 20, 2012

What is REAL love...?

A question that I have asked many times. I think maybe I am starting to discover what real love is. I am sure we are all aware of the three kinds of love. Eros is the one type of love that is emotional, sexual and interment of nature. The second type of love is called Philo. No not the love for Philo, Ohio!! This type of love is a brotherly type of love or a love for your friends. It is a replica type of love. If you love me I will love you in return. Some marriages I feel are sadly based on this. I know from the perspective that I used to have, that was the kind of love I had for my wife. If she loved me and did the things I wanted her to do, then in return she could have my love back. The third type of love is called Adape love. This is the love that Christ has for us. it gives unconditional love and expects nothing in return.

1 John 4:8 "The one who does not love, does not know God, for God IS love." I did not know what real love was until I let God into my life fully and completely. Allowing God to do this, allowed me to see my marriage and my wife through the eyes of Christ. It allowed me to love her unconditionally with the love of Christ. Because God's love is in me, it allows me to love my wife for the good, the amazing, the bad, and the ugly. Things about her that used to drive me crazy and were reasons I used not to be with her, don't matter anymore. These things are just who she is. I made the choice 14 years ago to love her, and I still choose to love everything about her inside and out today, tomorrow, next week, next month, next year, and forever.

If we are not living a righteous life, then we are not going to be happy. Sin is fun for a little while. But sin makes you stupid, it makes you unhappy, and sin will slowly but surely destroy your life. Had I gone any farther and not let the Lord get a hold of me, who knows where I would have ended up. I know that I was not happy, I know that I was no longer living on the other side on green grass. I know that my world was one miserable place to be. I almost lost my wife, I almost lost my family, and I almost lost my spot in heaven.

I have learned that in a marriage if one or both of you is not right with God and living a righteous life, the your marriage is always going to be either no sided or one sided, but it will not be what God intended it to be for you. Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? What harmony is there between Christ and Belial [Satan]? Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. (2 Cor. 6:14-16)  Folks there is where I was at. I was not my wife's equal in the Lord and it did nothing but wreak havoc on me, on her, and on our kids. Sin is like a disease. The more you let it spread, the more damage it will do. If you don't stop it, it will destroy you.

The cure? Gods love. It is very simple. Allowing God's love to live in every fiber of your being. Your soul, your heart, your body, and your mind. Our counselor explained it in a very simple way to my wife and I last night. The closer we grow to God, the better our marriage will be. It one of you is out in la la land as she put it, ( by the way, she looked at me when she said that ) the Lord will never be the center of your marriage. If the Lord is not the center, then you have nothing. If any of you have lost focus of this today, take it from somebody who knows, it is time to put God back in the center. You just never know what is going to happen. If God isn't the center, then how do you face issues in your marriage with out him? I never want to find out again.

So what to pray for. Continue to pray for our marriage. Pray for our kids and this positive change in their lives. Pray for us this weekend that our prayer request about change will be confirmed. Pray for continued strength and wisdom in the Lord.

Father thank you for your love. Thank you for dying on the cross and saving me from sin. I am so thank that your love is the cure all for everything wrong in our lives. Thank you father for your love for me and carrying me through the dark times of my life.