Friday, February 3, 2012

Ahh.. Some rest...

Matthew 11:28-30
28-30"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly." 

My wife and I will be headed out of town tonight over night. She planned it and surprised me. It is a much needed break for us to get some sleep, enjoy each other and connect. It will also be a good time for us to talk about how more than ever we need to make sure we are going to the Lord for everything. There have been and still are times where we are tired, worn out, and need recovery. It is nice to know that the Lord puts people in place to help make things like this weekend possible.

If you have noticed this verse is from The Message bible. I like the way it states this verse. There have been, still, and will be plenty of times where we will be tired and feel worn out. Not only in life, but in our spiritual walk, and our marriage as well. I should have paid more attention to this verse a long time ago. Maybe I would have learned a thing or two. If I would have just depended on the Lord and followed his example and trusted he was not going to give me anything I couldn't handle, I bet I would have been fine.

I like where the verse says get away with me and you'll recover your life. That is exactly what I did. I got some time with the Lord. Opened my eyes, and things started to change in my life. My marriage was in sight, my kids started to get happy, and I have a relationship with the Lord like never before. Walking with the Lord, watching, learning, has allowed me to live freely and lightly. I have been telling people for the first time in years, I feel free, I feel clean, and I know that when rough spots come my way, all I need to do is depend on the Lord. Oh boy... when things got rough in my marriage or in my life, or at work, I should have referred back to this verse.

1 Peter 4:12

12-13Friends, when life gets really difficult, don't jump to the conclusion that God isn't on the job. Instead, be glad that you are in the very thick of what Christ experienced. This is a spiritual refining process, with glory just around the corner.

Folks it is so important that we spend every day in the word of the Lord. We should have our noses in it constantly. If only I had lived my life then like I live it now... MY OH MY how things would be different. God would have answered prayer, but it would not have been so hard on me. The word is my sword and shield. I left my sword and shield back at the camp when I went to battle. I got defeated and gave up on God. Because I did that, I almost lost everything that was near and dear to me. I am so thankful that the Lord never ever leaves us. I am thankful that the Lord gives us rest from our burdens and never gives us more than we can handle. I am glad that I have the Lord to follow as an example on how to handle rough times with grace.

OK so what to pray for. Pray that we have a refreshing weekend. Pray for our kids that they will be good for the sitter. Pray for our marriage. Pray for the court date coming up next week that the Lords will would be done. Pray for us this weekend as we will be trying something concerning that change decision we need to make.

I leave you with one of my favorite hymns.
Great is thy faithfulness

"Great is Thy faithfulness," O God my Father,
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not
As Thou hast been Thou forever wilt be.

"Great is Thy faithfulness!" "Great is Thy faithfulness!"
Morning by morning new mercies I see;
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided—
"Great is Thy faithfulness," Lord, unto me!

Summer and winter, and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above,
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth,
Thy own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside