Friday, February 10, 2012

Give Thanks...

Matthew 14:13-21

13 When Jesus heard what had happened, he withdrew by boat privately to a solitary place. Hearing of this, the crowds followed him on foot from the towns. 14 When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them and healed their sick.
15 As evening approached, the disciples came to him and said, “This is a remote place, and it’s already getting late. Send the crowds away, so they can go to the villages and buy themselves some food.”
16 Jesus replied, “They do not need to go away. You give them something to eat.”
17 “We have here only five loaves of bread and two fish,” they answered.
18 “Bring them here to me,” he said. 19 And he directed the people to sit down on the grass. Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then he gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the people. 20 They all ate and were satisfied, and the disciples picked up twelve basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over. 21 The number of those who ate was about five thousand men, besides women and children. 

We have all heard the saying... "I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall"... I often wonder how this happened and how the food multiplied and just how this miracle happened. I would have liked to been a fly on the basket that was carrying the bread and fish. As a fly I would have liked to see how the food multiplied right before my eyes. In the minimal existence of being a fly I would have been swatted at and happily died knowing I got to see an event such as that.

We see in Matthew 15:29-39 the same thing happened. What I like about Matthew 14 is that it specifically mentions that Jesus broke the bread and gave thanks. I think when Jesus gave thanks, that is when the miracle started to happen. Jesus gave thanks for something so little and simple and God the father turned it into something on a magnitude that satisfied every ones hunger with food leftover.

The same thing can happen in our lives. There can be something so small, so simple, and the start can mean nothing, but when we thank and praise God for it. That "something" turns out to be something God uses to do multitudes of good. God can take a bad situation and find the good. Much like he did with my wife and I. It started so small over a month ago. Every day I thank God for his answered prayer and his goodness to us. Every day I see how the love in our house grows, how his spirit affects each one of us, and how he continues to multiply the good in our home. We often don't feel like praising God or thanking him when times get tough. You think the disciples thought of praising and giving thanks for the food as they were staring at all the hungry people? I am going guess that is probably not what they were thinking. If I had to take a guess... this would be their thought bubble... "what is that dude thinking giving thanks for something that won't come close to feeding these people?" ( On Monday I will write about the spiritual significance of this story, but today I need to finish where I am going) But Jesus gave thanks and God the father blessed it, multiplied it, and provided.

How often are we over looking the little things that God does or that he can use? Are we giving thanks and praise for those things? Do we believe that God can take something so small and multiply its blessings? We may not have much, but God can use it. I think even now as I walk through this journey and I look back on Wednesday, something so small as to what happened that day, God will use and turn into something big. Even when I am facing a rough time, and don't have much to work with, I will give God thanks and praise so he can use what I have.

OK so what to pray for. Pray for our marriage, our family, and that God might use us soon for his purpose and will. Pray that God would continue to reveal his will for our lives and how he wants us to serve.

Father thank you for pointing out how we need to give thanks and praise. Thank you father for using even the smallest thing and turning into something amazing.