Monday, February 13, 2012

Good bread...

If you remember on Friday's blog I was going talk about the spiritual significance behind the bread in Matthew 14 and 15. Well here it is.

Matthew 16:5-12


5 When they went across the lake, the disciples forgot to take bread. 6 “Be careful,” Jesus said to them. “Be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees.”

7 They discussed this among themselves and said, “It is because we didn’t bring any bread.”

8 Aware of their discussion, Jesus asked, “You of little faith, why are you talking among yourselves about having no bread? 9 Do you still not understand? Don’t you remember the five loaves for the five thousand, and how many basketfuls you gathered? 10 Or the seven loaves for the four thousand, and how many basketfuls you gathered? 11 How is it you don’t understand that I was not talking to you about bread? But be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees.” 12 Then they understood that he was not telling them to guard against the yeast used in bread, but against the teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees.


On Saturday I was talking to my wife. We had an interesting situation occur that morning while I was gone running an errand. We were talking about when a person has a "watershed moment". Well someone we know supposedly had one of these "moments" and was sharing with my wife. The problem I have with this particular person is that, they have had several "moments". A watershed moment can be defined as a splitting point in a river where it never joins again. Or a moment in life where your path deviates from the path you were on and your life is never the same. Let me also say that typically this is a positive thing. I am old enough now to be able to discern the right from the wrong and when something is pulling at my emotional strings and when God is actually speaking to me. In talking to my wife I made mention of the fact that when a person has one of these spiritual watershed moments, the spiritual super high only last for so long. It is only when a person comes back down from that high that the rubber meets the road. They have yet another moment. They yet again deviate from the spiritual high and go back to their status quo. OR they continue down the path of the original watershed moment. This person that shared with my wife has seen the status quo many times before.

Now I will insert myself into this. I had a watershed moment as you can tell from reading this blog. Friends don't get me wrong here... the super spiritual high is great. It really is. But I don't think that is the best part. The best part is coming back down to where the rubber meets the road. That is the moment where I truly let God have complete control of my life. It is where I truly committed my life to Christ. ( keep reading I am getting to my point about the scripture!! ) Now is the best part. God has given me a thirst for him. God has given me a thirst for his word and prayer. Friends I get so excited to see what God has to say to me every day. It is my spiritual bread.

Ok so here is my point to all of this. I am sure some of you are saying finally the long winded blogger dude is getting to his point. I was joking with my wife that I think sometimes Jesus got a little frustrated with his disciples because of their lack of understanding or brain fart moments. Sometimes I think Jesus walked away from them to pray, rolled his eyes, and said "Father of all the men to be my disciples, you couldn't give me at least one guy that was a scholar to help me out??" Anyways.... in Matthew 16:8-12 Jesus got disgusted with his disciples about this whole bread thing. Yeah the miracle of feeding the thousands of people twice was pretty amazing. But Jesus's point to all this was, he fed them bread from above, not only physically, but spiritually. Jesus warned the disciples about bad yeast. The bad yeast that can lead us away from God. The people ( aka television, books, music, celebrities etc..) of this world who try to turn us away from God or our marriages. The people who stand and wait for us to come down from the super spiritual high waiting to devour us and return us to status quo. We see on television that it is ok to have an affair, or to party like it's 1999 and many other things that represent bad yeast. We are living in days where it is easy to be led into a very bad watershed moment. I speak from experience. I let the world tell me it was ok to have an affair because of the issues in my marriage. I took of bread that had bad yeast. I listened to people and things instead of God.

Please I urge you to take Matthew 16:11-12 as a warning from Jesus. Be on your best guard against bad yeast and bread. Keep your eyes open and turned on Christ. Let Christ live in all of you, not just parts of you. This past Sunday work and witness teams got up and talked about their trips. One person in particular said something very profound. It moved me to a place and served as a great reminder to be completely surrendered to Christ. Here is what he said, "None of me Lord, ALL of you". Enough said...

OK so what to pray for. My spirit tells me this week that something significant is going to happen concerning the Lords will for our family. I ask that you pray for us in this matter. Also please pray for my oldest son. He is doing better, but still is having some struggles.

Father thank you for making yourself relevant to us today. Father help us to always have our guard against those people or things in this world who try to turn us away from you. Thank you Father for your protective hand on us.