Thursday, February 2, 2012

Immediate subject expert...

I think a plane could crash in my back yard and those around me would all of the sudden be experts in plane crashes. They might think they know every detail of what happened, or what the passengers might have felt like as the plane was falling from the sky. The might even quote the well known fact "it's not the fall that kills you, it is when you hit the ground..."

I can think of three major life events in my life. They all happened after I was married. One was trying to have kids. My wife and I tried for seven years. God answered prayer and with in three years, we had three kids. I gotta tell ya, when God gives, he gives abundantly. The second major life event was when my mom died. My mom battled cancer for as long as I can remember. Maybe 20 years plus. That was a hard one to get over. There was a lot of drama there. A family split, and reconciliation. To this day I still miss my mom. But God has given my dad a wonderful lady who I love and has been such an instrument in our family. I think she is one of the reasons my family is as solid as we ever have been to this day. I think of her as my earthly mom. She is a God send. I am so thankful for her. The third is this journey of my marriage being restored.

Now... those are three events or things that I have experienced and could give, share, and support in a lot of ways. I could identify, show empathy, be understanding, and feel what another person is feeling who experiences these things similar to myself. I think God sometimes allows those life events to happen, because there are other parts of the body of Christ looking for help. I know this because God has already used our child experience to help and encourage others. God makes no mistakes and he will use whatever he can for his purpose. Now... if there is anything outside of my personal life events, there are only a few things that I can do. I can listen, I can pray, and I can show and give support however possible. What I can't do is make assumptions, give advice based on those assumptions, be understanding based on assumptions, or pray based on the assumptions in my head. People we must approach those who are hurting with an open mind filled with righteousness and with a loving heart of God.
Mark 7:15
"Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves."

I like this verse...
James 1:26
 If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless.


These verses describes the "immediate experts" who think they know all about our situation. Or think that they are experts because maybe they watched a TV show, or assumptions they have made based on nothing. These are doubters who do not believe in the power of God and how he changes things. These are people who don't believe in miracles. They might as well throw the Bible out the window and re-write it for their interpretations. These our people who think they have our best interest at heart but truly don't. For those of you who are going through any situation either similar to this or completely different, these people are poison. Do not listen to them because they are just nosey gossip spreaders who enjoy taking no glory in the Lord. Rather than rejoicing in what God has done and spreading the good news like he calls us to do, these are people who take joy in spreading of news, false opinions, and gossip. Like I said, they are poison and you must separate yourself from them.

Take a look at these verses:

Ephesians 4:29
Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

and

Philippians 4:8    
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

So here is what God wants. God wants us to support each other. Pray for each other. Lift each other up in the name of the Lord. I can tell you those three life events would have been miserable if we hadn't had the prayers and support of those who truly wanted to see God heal each and every situation. If people didn't pray and want the will of God, who knows where we would be today. I am thankful that our true friends and family have been on their knee's through all of this, the support that has been shown has been amazing. God has been in the mix of it all. God has been at the center. If you know someone who is facing a rough time, or a marriage that is on the brink, or a friend(s) who are in what looks like an impossible situation, rather than assuming, ask how you can pray, then get on your knees and pray. If you don't know how to pray for them, it says in the Bible the Lord knows our words and our hearts and is praying for us. All we need to do is ask God to lead in how to pray.

OK so what to pray for. Pray for our court date next Wednesday that everything would go according to the Lords will. We need to clear a mountain out of way. Continue to pray for our kids, our marriage. Pray for a decision that we need to settle on in the next coupld of weeks.

I am going to leave you with this song called "By your grace and for your glory". I think this describes today to a tee. In fact it describes my life this past month perfectly. I love the words because in every situation we need to speak of God's grace and give thanks.

where would i be without your love?
What kind of life would i be guilty of?
If not for your redeeming hand that reached so low to raise me up and let me stand

by your grace; for your glory
i am here to tell the story
of all the doors you've opened for me
that i might give, i might love, i might live
by your grace; for your glory

not by my strength have i survived
my reckless steps and my selfish pride
not by my works of righteousness
i owe it all to you alone that i am blessed

by your grace; for your glory
i am here to tell the story
of all the doors you've opened for me
that i might give, i might love, i might live
by your grace; for your glory