Monday, February 27, 2012

Sometimes we get tired...

What a great weekend! We took a trip a birthday party in southern Illinois where we have family. My oldest son took his friend with us. So four kids and my wife I. It was my idea for my son to invite his friend. A reward of sorts for good behavior. We had a nice time. We spent a good portion on Saturday night in the pool at the hotel tiring the kids out and some time the next morning in the pool after breakfast. As it turns out the two oldest boys made friends with four other boys their age in the pool. I had bought a ball at Wal-Mart for the boys to throw around. They had a great time with the other boys. Other families that came in the pool didn't stay to long because when you have six boys throwing a small ball around, it is not calm waters to say the least. I was amazed at how something like a small mini soccer ball could bring two groups of boys who didn't know each other together for some fun. By the end of the pool sessions they all knew each others names. Needless to say three of the four kids slept on the way home. So my wife and I enjoyed a quiet ride home.

Just like that ball united six boys in a pool to a spirited game of catch, God can unite our spouse with the same type of thing. OK well not a ball, but if we put God in the center. My wife is having a very hard time with her job. Before I would have just shrugged it off and not really cared that much. But.. since we are united in Christ the struggles she faces I face. The hurt she feels, I feel. Today my wife is having a hard day. We are starting to learn that maybe the place we are in our careers is not exactly where God wants us. We can't do our best for God if we aren't where he want us. I may have mentioned this before in a previous blog, but lately my wife has felt God saying "Have you guys had enough yet? This is the verse I sent her today and what I could consider the answer to "Have you had enough yet?".

Isaiah 40:31
31 but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

Together we are seeking the Lord's will for our careers, our marriage, and our family. Seeking God's face has united us together. We share a common hope and that is that God would put us in the best position to do his will. I believe what is starting happen... God put in motion a long time ago. Now it is just a matter of keeping that yes on the table. When both of us put it there, God will start working how he originally intended too 14 years ago when we said "I do". We have finally put our hope in the Lord and because of that, God is starting to renew everything about our marriage. We know God will provide in every way that is needed in order to do his will.

I especially love Isaiah 43. This chapter seems full of hope and I think it is no mistake that right it is my scripture reading. Another great verse that I came across.

Isaiah 43:18-19
18 “Forget the former things;
do not dwell on the past.
19 See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the wilderness
and streams in the wasteland.

 I like the first two lines of verse 19. See? I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up! do you not perceive it? Sometimes I wonder just how miserable God needs to make us before we see how he can transform us and our marriages. How long before we realize that God can make us into something for his purpose and experience joy unheard of? God can do amazing things if we would just put God in the center of our marriages. God can unite us much like that ball in the pool united those boys. Why not let him do a new thing and forget the former things? God can... will you let him? I did and so did my wife. Now we wait on the Lord.

OK so what to pray for. Court date coming in three weeks and we need the Lord's will done. Pray for my oldest son, still seeing small victories, but had a small set back yesterday. Pray for my wife's job and the Lord's will for that. Pray for our marriage that it will continue to strengthen.

Father thank you for uniting us in you. Thank you Father for reminders every day of what you are capable if we just let have control. Thank Father for your love for us.