Monday, February 20, 2012

There are little ones all around...

I know many of you who are reading this have kids. Like me some of you have small children. The oldest child in my house is eight. I have talked a few times about our three kids in our house. I have referred to them as mirrors and they reflect what they see. I have also referred to them as sponges as they obsorb what they see. Out of my kids mouths I have heard phrases that often come out of my mouth as well as my wifes mouth. I am even starting to see actions that resemble my wifes as well as mine. I always have seen this in other peoples children, but I guess as our kids get older.. I notice it a lot more.

Matthew 19:13 - 15
13 Then people brought little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked them.
14 Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” 15 When he had placed his hands on them, he went on from there.

Through out the Bible we see a lot of references to parenting and also how Jesus loved children as much as he loved us adults. Us adults can be strong headed and stubborn, but often times kids see the truth in a very innocent way. I remember specifically being at a revival service and seeing a young boy not older than seven or eight go to the alter. That one action started a flood of people going to the alter. They followed the example of a child. We call that child like faith. A child's reality is very much different than us parents. The reality doesn't match up until they get into adulthood. Sometimes not even then does it catch up. But... there is a lot to be learned from their reality when they are young. Rather than me teaching my kids life lessons,  some times it is them teaching me lessons about life.

As I watch my kids grow up and start to resemble my wife and I, I get a little scared as to what I am seeing. I stress so much the importantence to set the example for them. When my oldest son was a a todler, I was getting him dressed. It happened to be storming outside and my son said to me.. "Daddy, I am sure tired of storms.." While he was talking about the reality of what was happening outside, I was thinking of the reality of what was happening inside. My reply to my son was, "Son, I am too". It was a reality check for me. How was I doing as a parent and how was I handling the storms and how would my son rate me at that moment. I know what my answer would be. Very poor. What my wife and I had set into motion was a full steam ahead of organized expected high tense kaos. With that said, trying to right the ship would be comparitive to righting the Titanic away from the iceberg. We had the wrong type of momentum going and it about sunk the ship. Enter.. God... What a difference he can make when you give him control of the ship, know matter the momentum, God can turn it around.

Friends it is so important to love your kids like Jesus loved the little children. It doesn't matter how old your kids are. I know teens and adults that still do the same things wrong that their parents did. Why? Because their parents never gave full control to God to right the ship and stop the disaster that happens when God is not in control. I regret the first years on my kids life. We didn't make it a Christ centered home and things were bad. But I am thankful that God gives us reminders all over scripture to guide us in how to love and raise our kids in a Christ filled home. What do your actions say to your kids? What do your words say to your kids? What does your example say to your kids? Something to think about...

What to pray for.. Pray for our court date next month that God's will would be done. Pray for our kids as they continue to adjust to this change. We are seeing answered prayer. Pray for our marriage that God would continue to work and strengthen out love for each other. Pray for us as we continue to seek the Lords will.

Jesus loves the little children
All the children of the world
Red and yellow black and white
They are precious in his site
Jesus loves the little children of the world

AND SO SHOULD WE!!