Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Where there is a will....

We can all finish that statement right? How many times have we willed our way to something? I can think of one example. I hate to have the flu and I hate the affects of the flu. Worshipping the porcelain god is not my idea of fun. I will do anything I can to will that away. Sometimes I am successful and sometimes I fail.

There is one thing in life that we cannot force our will and it turn out successful. If for one minute you think your will is better than God... I got news for you. You are going to fail and you will fail miserably. Look at Psalm 16

1 Keep me safe, my God,
for in you I take refuge.

2 I say to the LORD, “You are my Lord;
apart from you I have no good thing.”
3 I say of the holy people who are in the land,
“They are the noble ones in whom is all my delight.”
4 Those who run after other gods will suffer more and more.
I will not pour out libations of blood to such gods
or take up their names on my lips.

5 LORD, you alone are my portion and my cup;
you make my lot secure.
6 The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
surely I have a delightful inheritance.
7 I will praise the LORD, who counsels me;
even at night my heart instructs me.
8 I keep my eyes always on the LORD.
With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.

9 Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
my body also will rest secure,
10 because you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead,
nor will you let your faithful[b] one see decay.
11 You make known to me the path of life;
you will fill me with joy in your presence,
with eternal pleasures at your right hand.


My wife and I are facing something tomorrow and this is just what I needed to hear today. I cannot control what happens. Did you realize fear and anxiety is caused by worrying about a future that we cannot control? All I can do is put it into God's hands and allow him to counsels me. God will truly protect us from what is wrong. I cannot will what is going to happen. All I can do is ask for God's mercy and grace. All I can do is ask for God's will to be done. Not mine. I like verse 8. As long as I keep my eyes on God, I will not be shaken. God will make known his will for us and as long as we stay in his will, we will experience what true joy is.

As you have seen, I have already started to experience some of this joy in my marriage. But I am also starting to experience this joy in other areas in my life. My kids are happy, friendships with others are strengthening. God is starting to ever so slowly reveal his will in my life, my marriage, and my family. If I had continued to "will" things my own way, I would not be experiencing any of this joy that I have in  my life. Simply put, if you want Joy, live free in the Lord with everything you are, all areas of your life, and surrender to him.

OK what to pray for. Tomorrow please pray for my wife and I that we get through this together. Pray that God's will would be done and this part of our journey would be complete. Pray for our kids as they continue to enjoy this happy home they live in.

Father thank you for being my protector. Thank you Father for your perfect will. Thank you for knowing what is best and the wisdom you give us when needed.