Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Are you tired...?

Learned an interesting fact yesterday. There is a reason that our eye lids get heavy when we are tired. I know what you are thinking... "well duh it is because we are tired..." that is half of it, but the eyelid muscles are tired as well causing you eyelids to feel heavy and wanting to close. Interesting part of our bodies isn't it? Well maybe not so, but you will see my point here soon and how this resonates with me today.

Matthew 26:69-75

69 Meanwhile, Peter was sitting outside in the courtyard. A servant girl came over and said to him, “You were one of those with Jesus the Galilean.”
70 But Peter denied it in front of everyone. “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he said.
71 Later, out by the gate, another servant girl noticed him and said to those standing around, “This man was with Jesus of Nazareth.[a]
72 Again Peter denied it, this time with an oath. “I don’t even know the man,” he said.
73 A little later some of the other bystanders came over to Peter and said, “You must be one of them; we can tell by your Galilean accent.”
74 Peter swore, “A curse on me if I’m lying—I don’t know the man!” And immediately the rooster crowed.
75 Suddenly, Jesus’ words flashed through Peter’s mind: “Before the rooster crows, you will deny three times that you even know me.” And he went away, weeping bitterly.

Peter had good intentions but through the whole process of  Jesus betrayal and he failed big time. We all have the best intentions in mind when it comes to life. If we are Christians, we have the best intentions of following Christ and not letting anything stop us from doing that... or so we think. If you took a moment and considered the bad influences around you, how many are there? How many have you actually humored, listened too, and considered in your life? I can tell you I honored, listened too, and acted on those bad influences. I surrounded myself with bad company and therefore denied and compromised what I believed in. What I believe(d) in was Christ. I denied him not just three times, but so many more times. I denied him with my actions and my words.I was ashamed of the things I had done and the people I had surrounded myself with. You hang in the wrong crowd, you may just find sin around the corner.

Matthew 26:41

Keep watch with prayer, so that you may not be put to the test; the spirit is truly is ready, but the flesh is feeble.

Familiar with that passage? This is what Jesus said to his disciples upon checking on them during his prayer prior to the betrayal. But so true even today. That so resonated with me today. My spirit was willing and ready to follow Christ, but my flesh was weak and I was overcome with it's desires. I was betrayed just like Judas was with silver. Again money a desire of the flesh. The desires of lust, feeling good about me, and pride. Three of the many things that took me down a very dark road. I was ashamed of how I believed and took on worldly views and modified just how I believed in a lot of stuff. I would call it my own personal religion or personal customized religion. The definition is fitting parts of God where I needed it and leaving the others I didn't want. Satan had truly begun his transformation of me into an angry bitter person. I was on the path of destruction.

So four questions come to mind today that I need to ask you. Will you deny the flesh and follow Christ? Will you cover yourself in prayer so you are not tested? Are you scared or ashamed of Christ and deny him like Peter? What bad influences are around you and are you considering indulging them? Being of the world won't make us who we are. The flesh won't make us who we are. Being filled with the spirit, denying the flesh for the cause of Christ, and doing what God commands us defines who we are as spouses, parents, and friends, but above all followers of Christ.

OK so what to pray for... Pray for tomorrow that everything goes well and that the Lords will is done in court. Pray for our kids, and pray my wife and I as continue to work on our marriage.