Friday, March 9, 2012

Follower or...?

We all have done it. We swear allegiance to a particular sports team. All of the sudden a better one comes a long and we switch sides. In fact, that team is so good, we are convinced that we are a life time fan until.... they start losing again. The team we originally cheered for is back to their winning ways and we go back.

The description above describes me perfectly. Not so much in the sports world. I am a die hard Chicago Bears fan. I always will be. I have never switched from them. Win, lose, or draw I am always on the Chicago Bears band wagon. So how does it describe me? Well it describes the last two years of my marriage and how I felt about my wife. I was a fan, then not a fan and the pattern went on like that for a very long time.

John 6:60-71
 
60 On hearing it, many of his disciples said, “This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?”
61 Aware that his disciples were grumbling about this, Jesus said to them, “Does this offend you? 62 Then what if you see the Son of Man ascend to where he was before! 63 The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you—they are full of the Spirit[e] and life. 64 Yet there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus had known from the beginning which of them did not believe and who would betray him. 65 He went on to say, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled them.”
66 From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.
67 “You do not want to leave too, do you?” Jesus asked the Twelve.
68 Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. 69 We have come to believe and to know that you are the Holy One of God.”
70 Then Jesus replied, “Have I not chosen you, the Twelve? Yet one of you is a devil!” 71 (He meant Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, who, though one of the Twelve, was later to betray him.)

Through being devoted to Christ, I should have been devoted as a husband, father, and friend. I am sure the Lord knew my decisions before I did. But this scripture perfectly describes what the Lord was asking of me. So many times I walked a way and quit. I quit maybe because I stumbled or maybe because something happened that I thought shouldn't of and I blamed God for it. Sometimes I walked away as it was my way of shaking my fist at God and saying "How dare you let me life end up life this?" I would proceed to come up with every reason in the book to blame God for where I was at. How many of you have done this?

God knows if we are devoted or if we are a follower. There is a difference. It is much like that sports team I talked about. When the going gets rough we sometimes jump ship as fans because it is not easy to cheer and support a losing team. But we may still follow that team until they start doing well. Lets reverse that. What if God jumped ship every time we went through a rough spell? What if God only wanted to be involved in our life during the good times? I can't imagine where I would be today if God had decided to jump ship during all those rough times in my life. Thankfully we don't serve a God like that. We serve a God who loves us no matter what. My commitment to Christ should almost mirror my commitment to my marriage and family. God calls me to be a devoted servant to him, but he also calls me to be a devoted husband and father to wife and kids. So are you devoted to the things God wants for you or are you only a follower?

What to pray for... Pray for our court date next week. Pray for some decisions that my wife and I have to make over the next few days about some other things. Pray for our kids. We are still seeking the Lords will for what he wants us to do.

Father thank you for always being my rock and supporter. Thank you Father for always being there even when I didn't want you to be.