Friday, March 16, 2012

Reflections....

Yesterday I was sharing with my wife some of my childhood memories. One of them particular was camping. I remember during the evening me, dad, my sister, and my g-pa used to go fishing. We almost always camped where there was a lake. I remember as it got dark, seeing the boats out on the lake and seeing the reflections of the boat lights. Seemed so calming and relaxing to me.

2 Corinthians 5:16-20

16 So we have stopped evaluating others from a human point of view. At one time we thought of Christ merely from a human point of view. How differently we know him now! 17 This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!
18 And all of this is a gift from God, who brought us back to himself through Christ. And God has given us this task of reconciling people to him. 19 For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation. 20 So we are Christ’s ambassadors; God is making his appeal through us. We speak for Christ when we plead, “Come back to God!”

OK so I am going to say something very profound here. Are you ready? Warning it is not really all that profound, but there is a point.  A perfect reflection off of the water is ruined by ripples of water. These can be caused by any number of things, such as waves, rocks being thrown in the water, fish, birds... etc... Water is never perfectly calm, there is always some type of movement. When major ripples happen it really distorts the reflection we see in the water. There is also the ripple affect. One splash or disturbance to the water distorts all reflections.

If you look at verses 18-20, God has called us to be ambassadors to those who are lost. But in order to do that, we need to reflect as clearly as we can Christ's love in us. Realistically we are never going to perfectly reflect Christ. If there is sin in your life than it distorts the reflection of Christ to others. Remember ripples in the water, makes it hard to see a clear reflection. There are times where we may not be speaking of God's love, but we are showing it, and if we cause a disturbance in the spiritual water... if you will... than you have the ripple affect and it causes harm to those around us and those who are watching. As Christians, we need to reflect Christ clearly and not allow sin to distort his reflection to others. Remember we are not perfect like Christ, but we can strive to be so.

Many times in this blog I have made mention of the sin that was in my life. There were those who could see right through me, and there were those who had no clue. I was trying to reflect a life at my church that I was not living through the week. I failed miserably in so many horrible ways. My reflection was nothing at all. I was a horrible husband, wasn't much of a Christian if at all, horrible father and friend. But like in verses 16-17 I see Christ differently now. Here is God's son who died on the cross for my sins and because he did that I am able to be a new creation through him and my sins are forgiven. That scrambled wavy distorted non-reflection is now clear for people to see Christ and what he did for me. So is the water to which you reflect of calm of rippled?

OK so what to pray for... My wife is looking for a job in town to be close to home. Pray for us as we find ways to simplify our lives. Pray for the Lords will as we continue to diligently seek him out. Pray for our kids. Pray for the next court date.

Father thank you for the work you did in me. Thank you for the chance to tell a story of restoration. Thank you Father for any chance to reflect you to others.