Monday, July 30, 2012

All kinds of new...

Well after a week of having no internet, barely any cell coverage, we are back online. This past week has been filled with many new experiences. I can't think of one thing this week that hasn't been to new to me. I have come to Ohio my whole life to visit family, but back then never thought I would be living here. We have taken ourselves out of our comfort zone and have ourselves in a zone where everything is new and unknown right down to learning you way around town.

We left Illinois a week ago today for a new start. My wife made the comment to me that if I hadn't screwed up, we would have to leave. She was ribbing me all in good fun, but the fact of the matter is, I did screw up. My wife graciously allowed me back into her world. With that... God decided that it was time for a new start for our family. In the last six months we have come such a long way. I have lost my job, my wife has transferred back into the HR field that she loves, and I have been called into the ministry. Now it is just a matter of waiting on God's timing.

Saying good-bye to our friends wasn't easy. I held a strong front, but after everyone left and I went back through the empty house, I completely lost it. The house held so many memories in just the short year that we lived there. Memories ranging from the ugly to building a new marriage and family. As I looked around, the house was empty. Our things were already on their way to Ohio. I gotta admit it was hard for me. One week later this house that we are now living in, is pretty much unpacked and this is the first week where we will attempt to settle into our new life as we will learn it.

Amongst many of the changes... adjusting to new utility services, new surroundings, a new town, and new noises in the house. But we experienced one yesterday as a family and that was finding a new church. We went to a new church to try it on for size. It was different and all sensory systems were on overload. I found myself missing my home church and wondering how their worship services were going. I also sat there and wished that I was a part of it as I was really needing to feel God's presence that has been so strong there lately. Finally the sermon came and the associate pastor was preaching this day. He talked about all the treasures of the world and what we would give up to have that one thing that was more valuable than anything we owned. I can't remember the person we was referencing in his sermon, but did mention three phrases. No reserve, no retreat, and no regrets. Friends there is nothing more valuable to me than having Jesus as my Lord and savior. I will do anything to make sure that is never compromised again. Out of that comes doing his will and allowing him to do "all kinds of new..." in my life. At the end of the service we sang I'd Rather Have Jesus. We all know this familiar and great hymn.

My wife and I have embarked on a journey lead by Jesus.

I’d rather have Jesus than silver or gold;
I’d rather be His than have riches untold;
I’d rather have Jesus than houses or lands,
I’d rather be led by His nail pierced hand.

Than to be a king of a vast domain
Or be held in sin’s dread sway,
I’d rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords today.

No Reserve, no retreat, no regrets..... I find myself asking you, where are you today? Are you sitting in life wondering why you are going in circles? Wondering what is stopping you from having God's will in your life? Is there something that you need to hand over to God? Yes I would rather have Jesus than anything... 

Ok so what to pray for... Pray that everything continues to go smoothly for us. Pray for us as we transition to a new life. Continue to pray for God's will in our lives.