Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Legacy...

I found out yesterday that my Grandfather passed away at the age of 92. What is unique to me about this is that it appears to me that he died of a broken heart. Maybe not right away, but he had recently placed my Grandmother who was diagnosed with full on Alzheimer's in a nursing home. This is a couple who spent 72 years of marriage side by side and to my knowledge never spent time apart other than normal life things such as work etc...Amongst his health concerns, high blood pressure, cancer, and misc. other problems, he seemed to live a pretty good life the last few years that he was alive. I think the wind was taken out of his life sails after he had to put my grandmother in a skilled care facility. After this, his health really declined.

Grandpa and Grandma raised two God fearing daughters. They started many traditions around Christmas, birthdays, and other things that lasted for years and years. Grandpa's values and morals were strong and instilled in his family beyond his daughters. My grandparents reached those who didn't know Christ and in many cases lead them to know who Jesus Christ was. Grandpa's wit and sense of humor was timely, always appropriate and many times would catch us and many others off guard with a good laugh. Grandpa had a love for photography and there was always a picture to be taken. I rarely ever caught my grandpa without his camera.
Grandpa and Grandma took time with family and loved all of us from daughters, in laws. grand kids, to friends the same. Christmas always stands out in my mind. While this tradition has not taken place for several years, we would start out Christmas eve with old home movies of our parents, and grandparents back in the early days of life, this was usually done after our tradition of horse races taped every year at a fair they went too. Prizes would be won by each us ( some more than others.. )for the winning horse. Every one always won a prize. I miss this tradition and would give anything to relive one of those nights again.

My Grandpa taught me golf and gave me the love of the game. While I don't get to golf much anymore, I still love to go and my grandpa is always on my mind when I golf. Grandpa also taught me how to bowl and gave me many pointers on league night. .I bowled with him for many years. I am truly thankful for the time I had with my Grandpa and Grandma. Even though the years put distance between us, I will always be thankful for them in my life.

As you can see my Grandpa left a legacy to be carried by his kids, grand kids, and great grand kids. The thought occurred to me last night, that I needed to live my life the same. My hope is one day I leave a legacy for my kids, grand kids, and great grand kids for them to carry. My Grandpa loved Christ and served him whole heartedly his whole life. Once Grandpa fell in love with Christ he never walked away. The same can be said about my Grandma. Grandpa's commitment to both was not perfect but pretty close. Grandpa loved Grandma unconditionally and served her as Christ served the church. Grandpa's legacy that he built will be carried by generations to come. Grandpa's example should be followed by all those who want to know how to have a great marriage, and a servant filled heart with the love of Christ.

I can only imagine what his first day in heaven was like. I am sure he was greeted by my mom, my uncle his brother and many other friends and family. I can only imagine he pulled out the finest gold golf clubs that heaven has to offer tailored to his needs.Grandpa most likely golfed the best game he has ever seen on one of many golf course that heaven has to offer.

As you can see, it is my hope and for all husbands that an example like Grandpa's life should be followed. I hope my legacy speaks for itself. I hope people see that when I truly came to know Christ, that I never swayed again and that my priorities were God, my wife, my family, and friends. I hope some day the legacy I leave is carried as Grandpa's will be and my example of loving God, my wife, my kids, and my friends are followed. I hope one day to lead someone to come to know Jesus as the personal savior and friend. I hope I help plant many seeds in the garden of heaven like my Grandpa did.