Thursday, January 17, 2013

I am no expert..

I never said that I was an expert when it came to being a husband or even knowing truly how a women thinks. I don't think there is one man out there that does. We men have an ability to compartmentalize everything where women are one big bowl of spaghetti. Seriously if you think about it... with women it is all connected. Now... I didn't figure this out until I was sitting across from my therapist and she said it to me, but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense.  Men and women are just wired differently and although we may get to the same conclusion , sometimes we take very different roads getting there. There is nothing we can do to fix this, it is just the way God created us. Men are just not as emotional as women are. I believe it is the emotional part that ties so many things together for women. I don't think the emotional part is the only thing that helps tie thoughts, decisions, memories etc together, but it is one BIG ingredient.

I have learned much about my wife this past year. I have learned that she is a very loving woman. She is a woman who wears her heart on her sleeve and is very passionate about everything she does. My wife is a woman who is opinionated, but has the ability to know when and when not to express whatever opinion is spinning in that head of hers. Now there is a difference, I hear all of them most of the time in private, but those around only may hear a small percentage of them. To be fair, she hears all of mine too and because I am a man, people hear a higher percentage of mine. Probably more than I should allow to come out of my mouth. Sometimes I act without thinking and things flow out of my mouth that shouldn't. I end up making myself look like a south end of a north bound horse. I can't speak for other women, but maybe there are some out there as well who do the same as me. So this brings me to my next point... It's called be hot headed.

Galatians 5:22-23  
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Interesting scripture isn't it? I can think of two things right off of the bat. This is something we should be filled with in our own personal lives as well as in our marriages. Even though women are emotional and men are... well can tend to be an emotional piece of rock, we should be living this at all times. I was talking with a friend this week about a certain situation. When I told him what was going on, rather than resorting to anger, the first words out of his mouth were, "I need to pray over this and I need to talk to my wife as she has a way of helping me think clearly." Friends that says it all, we spouses need to hold each other accountable to the fruits of the spirit. We need to be each others buffer, filter, and emotional rock. When this gets out of whack in our own personal lives, it can really harm us as a person. The same can be said about our marriages as well. 


The we live our lives can be sweet like fruit as long as we are allowing the fruits of the spirit to guide our thoughts and our journey as individuals, friends, husbands, and wives. Against such things there is no law....