Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Back to the basics....

2 Timothy 3:14-17

14 But you must remain faithful to the things you have been taught. You know they are true, for you know you can trust those who taught you. 15 You have been taught the holy Scriptures from childhood, and they have given you the wisdom to receive the salvation that comes by trusting in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. 17 God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work.

Ever wonder why we sometimes find ourselves in a mess? While talking to a friend who walked a similar journey with his wife, he said to me… “When things are getting messed up in my life or things are not going so well, I step back to see what I am not doing.” This person is like big brother to me and a person who talked me through some stuff at the time I didn’t understand about this journey I was on. It happens to all of us. A Christ centered life is not a spiritual high. It is one of the best, curviest, loopiest, exciting, and emotion filled rides that anyone could ever ride on and it requires us to fully trust the Lord.

In the athletic world when a team is on a losing streak, you will often hear the coach say “We need to get back to the basics”. If you are not doing all the little things right, the big things are going to fail in an awful way. I love the scripture above. We have to remain faithful to our time with God during the day. My devotions feed me, my prayer time feeds me. When I have done both of these, I can go on with my day knowing that I have left everything in God’s hands.

How often in our relationships are we forgetting the basics? When I met my wife I knew she was the one for me. I told my friend that I was going to marry her. I saw her sitting on the bleachers during a church league softball game. I had known of her my whole life. I had seen her here and there. Something nudged me to talk to her. So I did. It was bold move for me, as I am often very reserved with people I don’t know all that well. But when I looked into her eyes, my heart started to beat faster, my stomach flipped and I knew she was my future wife. It was a long chase as she wasn’t giving in easily to my insisting that she go out on ONE date with me. Well she agreed and the rest is history. It really is a story in itself. We are still in the early years of our marriage. We lost site of the basics of what we saw in each other and why God had brought us together. Our marriage was out of sync and messed up for a while. Honestly, neither one of us had a clear site of God nor was he the center of our marriage.  Long story short my wife I got back to the basics, discovered why we fell in love with each other in the first place. We allowed God to be our marriage leader. To this day, we pray about decisions, we don’t make a move without praying through it first. We have gotten to the basics of trusting Christ with our lives, our marriage, our family, and everything that he wants for us.

This weekend I will be singing a song at church. I sang this song two years ago and I wasn’t where I should have been spiritually. In fact, I wasn’t even close.  I had completely lost sight of God. Quite honestly, I had no business singing at all. It was purely performance. It was purely pride. I am lead to believe that God didn’t use me that day I sang it. This past couple of weeks when I found out we were singing this song, I volunteered to do the solo as this song really means something to me.  I am a new creation in Christ because I decided to follow Jesus and give him everything with it. Here are the words.

I have decided to follow Jesus – Geron Davis

I have decided to live for Jesus
I’ll build my life on the strength of his word
I am committed to His purpose and calling
I’ve made up my mind I am going to serve the Lord

I started walking this highway to heaven
with no intention of turning around
made a commitment and I’m gonna keep
he’s leading me up to higher ground

I have decided to live for Jesus
I’ll build my life on the strength of his word
I am committed to His purpose and calling
I’ve made up my mind I am going to serve the Lord

I’ve climbed some mountains
and I’ve walk through valleys
and I am sure that there’ll be more down the road
though I can’t see what is waiting tomorrow
His word is my life and this one thing I know

I have decided to live for Jesus
I’ll build my life on the strength of his word
I am committed to His purpose and calling
I’ve made up my mind I am going to serve the Lord


Are you messed up? Out of sync? Is your marriage not where it should be? Is your life not where it should be? Have you lost sight of God? Do you feel like or are you scared the ride you are on is about to jump the track and end with devastating circumstances? Go back to the basics, find God and trust him, lean on him, and allow him to be your leader. Give everything you have to God. Empty the closet and clean out the corners that are in the dark. Allow him to be Lord over everything. Get back to the basics of what you were taught.  Have you decided today?