Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Life on the cardboard

The church that I attend has a cardboard ministry. They usually do this once a year and this year it was on Easter. It was one of the best services that I have ever been too. People testified how God had broke them free of the chains that had held them down. If you are not familiar with this ministry, I will explain it. A person will walk up in front of the church with a piece of cardboard. On the front of it is a brief summary of sorts of their life struggle. On the back, there is a summary of how God changed what was written on the front. So keeping with this spirit, I decided to post mine here.

 

2 Corinthians 3:1-3

3 Are we beginning to commend ourselves again? Or do we need, like some people, letters of recommendation to you or from you? 2 You yourselves are our letter, written on our hearts, known and read by everyone. 3 You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.
 
 
The above scripture was my scripture last week from one of my devotions. I think this is a great example of cardboard ministry back in the days when Paul was writing letters to the church keeping them encouraged and scolding when needed. I can only imagine the letter I might have gotten from Paul a couple of years ago when I was living in sin. I had been taught how to live, how to pray, and how to let God be the God of my life. As the cardboard reads above, I gave up, figured God didn't care and used it as an excuse to live the life I wanted too. I brought my selfish desires up to the front and fulfilled most of if not all of them. It was all about me. I had no faith in God and his ability to take situations in my life releasing me from the chains that caused me to struggle. Before Paul was an apostle, he was Saul. Paul's life can be described as a miraculous change of heart because he found Christ as his Savior. God had called Paul to ministry. Not only was Paul physically blinded for three days, but while he persecuted Christians he was blind spiritually as well. Paul's transformation is amazing. In Paul's life he spent time in jail for completely different reasons than I did. However, it was a night in jail that changed my life. All I had was God and this is what happened. I was now able to see, the blinders of sin had been lifted, and forgiveness was given. Christ had redeemed me. Here is the other side of my cardboard...
 
 
 My transformation.... It is my "letter from Christ...written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts." You know it is amazing how life changes when God has control. It doesn't get perfect nor will it ever be. But I am redeemed by the blood of Jesus. My faults and my failures don't matter to Christ because he took care of it on the cross. All God asks of me is to give him control. If God can change my life, if he can change Paul's life, he can change yours. I love the song "Redeemed" by Big Daddy Weave. It is my life almost perfectly described. I leave you with this song...