Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Can you hear me now?


We have all seen it, church pillars that have gone to your church for years, have their spot where they have always sat. Some might even act put out if you dare sit in their row or exact spot in that row where they sit. It is as if God can only broadcast his message of hope or inspiration to that one spot just for them. If they sit any where else, they might as well forget about it. My wife and I (see still has something to do with marriage) decided along with our new start that we would sit some where different in our church. You see our broadcast signal of the Holy Ghost was fading in our "old spot" so we decided to move so we could get better signal. Of course I am kidding and you might even sense some sarcasm in that statement. We really don't have a spot, we just like to sit on a particular side because it is different, it is where I usually exit the stage if playing in praise band or singing on worship team. This spot is quick and convenient and I won't miss the beginning of the message. Our pastor usually will start with some type of dry humor to get you immediately sucked into his message. I love our pastor and his messages are on spot every Sunday. After church I came to find out that a lady in our church questioned or made an observation to my wife that we used to sit on the other side of the church. After some questioning the lady summed it up to be interesting.

Here is my take on this, you know if the God is going to get you, he is going to get you. If God wants to use you or get your attention, it doesn't matter where you sit in church. For reference look at Paul's conversion. I question are we so comfortable or stuck in our ways to be fooled by the fact that we couldn't worship in any other spot or place? Is the church the only place where we feel comfortable enough to worship? Let me push it a bit further. We shouldn't be worshiping and praising just on Sunday. It should be every day. There is a song we sing during worhsip sometimes called Every day is a day of thanksgiving. Every day is a day of prayer, praise, and thanksgiving, at least it should be. It doesn't matter where you are, it doesn't matter the place or spot you sit in. God simply doesn't care. God wants your attention at all times, he loves your praise, he loves your prayers, and loves the thanks we give for his blessings in our lives.

One of the things that my wife and I have slacked on lately was starting our day off in prayer. We end it in prayer with our kids, but have slacked a bit when starting. It seems like when our days are not protected by prayer filled with thanks, praise, and worship; things can get out of sorts. I mentioned this before, but when life starts to go south, we have to stop and look at what has changed. For us lately it has been neglecting to start our day with God. We have corrected that and will continue to work hard to make sure that it remains the start to our day that God wants us to have.

I am not sure why there are those who come to church focused on where people sit in church. Last I checked there was no seating chart. Honestly I can sit any where and hear what God has to say to me. But I my heart has to be open to what God has for me. But in all seriousness, I should be listening all through the week. If we are coming to church focused on what is happening all around us rather than what God wants right in front of us, we are in trouble. I don't understand this ladies point, I never will because we didn't let it distract us from worshiping and hearing God's message. My wife and I come to church for one reason only, that is one of the places we can worship as one and be thankful for all the God has done for us. But in all reality, we should be listening through the week as well.

We all remember the cell phone commercial where the slogan was "can you hear me now?". I believe the point was that you could take your cell phone any where and still be able to get a signal because the coverage was that great. I think sometimes in our churches and spiritual walk we get so fixated on a certain spot that we don't believe the slogan is true. How many times has God asked us that question? Rather than standing still, we move around trying to fix the problem ourselves. I am not just talking about in church, but in our lives as well. Are you too focused on the things around you rather than Christ in front of you? In other words God is saying focus on me my signal is every where!!