Friday, September 12, 2014

David did what?

1 Samuel 17:32-37The Message (MSG)

32 “Master,” said David, “don’t give up hope. I’m ready to go and fight this Philistine.”

33 Saul answered David, “You can’t go and fight this Philistine. You’re too young and inexperienced—and he’s been at this fighting business since before you were born.”

34-37 David said, “I’ve been a shepherd, tending sheep for my father. Whenever a lion or bear came and took a lamb from the flock, I’d go after it, knock it down, and rescue the lamb. If it turned on me, I’d grab it by the throat, wring its neck, and kill it. Lion or bear, it made no difference—I killed it. And I’ll do the same to this Philistine pig who is taunting the troops of God-Alive. God, who delivered me from the teeth of the lion and the claws of the bear, will deliver me from this Philistine.”

Saul said, “Go. And God help you!”

This was my scripture this morning for my devotions. As I was reading this, I keyed in on a couple of things and my mind has been blown ever since. David killed a lion and a bear to protect the sheep his father had entrusted to him. It wasn't something David did once or twice it was something he probably had to do often. As I was reading this scripture, I thought to myself no way can a man kill a lion or bear with his bare hands. How is that even possible? On top of that David had decided to take on the bully named Goliath and take him down as well. I am floored at David's faith in God's ability to protect him from harm. 

My lack of faith in the big things sometimes stops my ability to trust God in all situations. As I am sure with many of you, it is easier to trust God with the small not so concerning situations that arise where the consequences are bearable. But what about the BIG things that come our way where the consequences are less than desirable? Sometimes we stand there facing Goliath, a bear, or a lion. Our doubts seem to take over about what God can really do to help. 

In our house, it has been an interesting couple of months. The enemy has tried once again to infiltrate our house and divide. Going through this once before, we were more aware of the signs and battled back on our knees and many people supporting us in prayer. When school starts, fall sports, and other commitments, there is an adjustment period. Our oldest son has experienced an unprecedented amount of anxiety on top of still grieving the loss of his grandmother one year later. The side affects of this has caused a stressful situation for us that has been exhausting. This situation we are facing and going through has been the David story for us. The enemy(lion or bear) if you will has tried it's best to snatch our son away from us in its jaw. We have jumped on and prayed away the lion and bears. It seemed when we would pray over him, the enemy would attack even stronger every time trying to one up us. Again we would go back to praying. While we are still in this process, we have put all of our faith and trust in God. That in itself is not easy. 

I posted this on Facebook just the other day. "Sometimes the stresses in life cause me to rush God to answer prayer according my timing and not his. But what is really happening, is those things that are stressing me, are blocking my ability to see what God is doing. I want so bad right now for God to flip the switch for healing. But I know that God is teaching and loving me through this season." It was this day that I realized I had to give all my worries to God. This whole thing we have been going through was now out of my control. My only defense was to pray, let go, and let God. This is a minute, hourly, and daily battle to let God have it, but the more we do it, the easier it becomes. The beauty of this is that God has started to open our eyes to what is happening and given us some patience and peace that we so desperately needed. People have surrounded us, counseled us, and been Christ to us.

After reading this scripture today, I realized that my wife and I aren't alone. That when we face the lions, bears, Goliaths, we need to do it with same faith and confidence that David had in God. We serve a God who is not going to leave us, we serve a God that has our best interest at heart. I know through this time, that we will see God move in a mighty way. This week God has started to answered prayer for us. We know the road is long, but we also know that we can persevere knowing that God will deliver us.  If God is for us, who can be against. I love this song. When I think about the Lord.